Thursday, July 06, 2006

One room down...

...and the rest of the house still to go. One more room to do before we can move in!

Finished the baby's room:


It turns out reinstalling the closet doors was about a thousand times easier than taking them down, so YAY! I only cut myself once doing it (I am pretty much covered from head to foot in bruises and cuts from moving boxes and splinters and who knows what else).



When I installed the laminate, I took the dire warnings about leaving an adequate expansion gap a little TOO seriously, so had to get a little fancy with the molding around the floor - I couldn't just use quarter round because it wouldn't cover all the gaps, so they wound up a bit more complicated (I had to use an extra piece of wood behind the quarter round). I think they look pretty darn good, despite the fact that my ability to use a miter box certainly needs work (a few of the joints are not that great).

Technically, it's not 100% complete - I need to get a router to make some cutouts to go around the molding in the transition piece that goes under the door. Eh, that can wait.

Next step, finishing the master bedroom:


The greyish strip along the wall is floor levelling compound. Hopefully I won't need to do another application and I'll be able to start laying the floor on Saturday. If it does need more leveller, the floor can't be installed until Sunday to ensure the levelling compound is fully cured.

The trim and the door have been primed, but not painted the final colour. That's the last thing that needs to happen before the flooring going in!

So, looking forward - get the flooring laid, re-hang the closet doors, paint and install the trim (this time I'm painting the damn trim FIRST). Then we can move in!

What'll be the next project? The kitchen. I'm going to buy the paint tomorrow...




See? Ugly. Also there's this to be dealt with, currently living in our dining room:

No comments: